- Creating an authentic coffee experience in a city without coffee culture
In a rapidly developing city where the only coffee awareness is around an American chain, 3 young lads set out to build a coffee community on specialty coffee and fresh, locally roasted beans.
The original logo tells us the founders’ philosophy of “we can fly if we work hard together”, which I extracted to the essence to fit the freshness of their coffee experience.
- George Community’s brand message is manifested through the simplicity that guided the creation of their new visual identity and its café’s design. Fresh colors and geometric patterns communicate the colorful world of coffee varieties and their countries of origin.
- With no walls but glass to allow maximum transparency and sunlight, the café stands atop Guiyang’s homogenous main street like an oasis.
- To connect the café to the local community - quite literally - I designed the entrance with a stadium style staircase-seating in the shop front. There you can enjoy sunshine with your coffee, and even the occasional improvised street performance.
- I planned the space for all walks of urban life. For the morning rush you can order your coffee at the takeaway window. If you are feeling adventurous you can join the barista at the coffee bar, where you can smell, watch and taste the seasonal single origin beans being brewed to your favorite method.
- This is where you exchange, learn and experiment. There’s a laptop friendly worktable, a cozy area for more intimate conversations, several street-watching seats, outdoor seating and a corner for a large group of friends or family.